Lessons on Marriage and Family
Families face multiple challenges in the modern world. Society tells families that there is no need to work through difficulties. Television, public schools, and peers make raising children perilous. Those who rightfully enter into a second marriage face even more challenges.
However, families have always faced multiple challenges. It was Eve who convinced Adam to eat of the forbidden fruit in the Garden. Adam and Eve become the first couple in the long history of mankind to suffer the loss of a child when Cain slew Abel. Jacob induced great jealousy by giving Joseph a coat of many colors.
God, knowing quite well the perils facing the family he ordained, provided solid instruction for the family. On these pages, you will find multiple resources to help your family strive to live according to God’s design.
These resources are from a course I taught at Ohio Valley University.
Damaging Influences on the Home
Dating and Marriage
- Mate Selection
- Choosing a Mate by Making a List
- The Wedding Ceremony and Honeymoon
- Top Ten Myths of Marriage
The Roles of Husbands and Wives
Communication in Marriage
- Introduction to Communication
- Assessment of Communication in Marriage
- Roadblocks to Communication
- Using “I” Statements
- Little Ways to Communicate
- Conversation Tips for Husbands and Wives
- Introduction to Conflict Resolution
- Signs of Domestic Violence
- When Your Anger is a Problem
- Planning for Conflict
- The Good and Bad of Anger
- Rules of Conflict
- Conflict Resolution Worksheet
- Do You Have Workaholism?
- Treatment and Action Steps Against Workaholism
- Are You Stressed?
- Getting Rid of Stress
- The Importance of Communication in Learning to Manage Money
- Money Talk Tips
- Do You Have Enough Family Time?
- Dealing with the Stereotypical In-Law
- A Positive Approach to In-Laws
- Action Steps for Extended Family
- What if My In-Laws Don’t Like Me?
- Your Chances of Divorce Might Be Lower Than You Think
- Top Ten Myths of Divorce
- Counselor Interview for Divorce Proofing a Marriage
- Biblical and Spiritual Insights into Divorce Proofing
- Treatment Planning and Divorce Proofing
- Sources of Stress in Divorce
- Adjusting to Divorce
- Helping Children Cope with Divorce
- Tips for Coparenting