Money Talk Tips
Here are some tips that will help you effectively manage your money together:
- Set aside a regular time each month to discuss money issues (your budget, planned expenses, debt-reduction plans). By having a regular meeting, you’ll spend less time overall and may avoid problems since you’ve set aside time to work together.
- Talk regularly about ways to manage your money more effectively.
- Use a team approach. Respect each other’s differences, and work toward decisions both of you agree with.
- Keep each other up to date on all personal assets and debts.
- Discuss and come to agreements about how to use any extra money (such as tax refunds).
- Write short and long-range financial goals together.
- As you set financial goals, remember to be realistic, specific, and flexible.
- Remember to use positive communication skills when discussing money. Avoid language that will put your spouse on the defensive, such as criticizing, ridiculing, or demanding.