The Top Ten Myths of Marriage
NOTE: Remember these are myths!
- Marriage benefits men much more than women.
- Having children typically brings a married couple closer together and increases marital happiness.
- The keys to long-term marital success are good luck and romantic love.
- The more educated a woman becomes, the lower are her chances of getting married.
- Couples who live together before marriage, and are thus able to test how well suited they are for each other, have more satisfying and longer-lasting marriages than couples who do not.
- People can’t be expected to stay in a marriage for a lifetime as they did in the past because we live so much longer today.
- Marrying puts a woman at greater risk of domestic violence than if she remains single.
- Married people have less satisfying sex lives, and less sex, than single people.
- Cohabitation is just like marriage, but without “the piece of paper.”
- Because of the high divorce rate, which weeds out the unhappy marriages, people who stay married have happier marriages than people did in the past when everyone stuck it out, no matter how bad the marriage.