True Contentment (1 Timothy 6:6-10)
What is contentment? How does contentment manifest itself in the life of the Christian? Why do Christians need contentment?
Why is there great gain in godliness with contentment?
We brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of the world. If we brought nothing into this world, from whence did all we have come? If we can take nothing out of this world, why do some work so hard to accumulate wealth?
Paul is obviously in this context speaking of taking physical things out of this world. However,
- Are there some spiritual things we will take out of this world?
- What might some of those things be?
- In what way(s) do we take them out of the world?
Paul would be content with food and clothing. How many people in this world could be content with just food and clothing? Honestly, how content could you be with just food and clothing? What are some things besides food and clothing you think you need?
- Why did Paul not mention those items?
- If Paul did not mention them in the inspired text, do you really need them?
- Why do we think that we need more than simply food and clothing?
- How can we change our thinking to understand what we truly need?
- How can we grow in our dependence on God for what we truly need?
Into what temptations do those who desire to be rich fall? Why do they fall into these temptations? How is the desire to be rich a snare? How does a desire to be rich throw people into many senseless and harmful desires? How does a desire to be rich plunge someone into ruin and destruction?
In what way is the love of money the root of all kinds of evil? What are some of the evils a desire to be rich brings? What is the difference between using money appropriately and desiring to be rich?
- How do you know when you’ve gone from using money appropriately to desiring to be rich?
- How can we learn to use money and not allow money to use us?
Why does a love of money lead some to wander from the faith?
How does a love of many cause people to pierce themselves with many pangs?