Responding to God (Psalm 100)
This is the time of year we pause and think about our blessings. We should think about our blessings, because God is good! We should give thanks to God always (Eph. 5:20). As we think about how good God has been, we should think about responding to God.
Worship God, vv 1-2
All nations should make a joyful shout to God. We should worship God with joy. Joy should characterize the Christian’s life-Joy should set Christians apart from non-Christians. Philippians 4:4-Paul wrote that when he was in prison. We have reason to rejoice–Our God is alive, active, loving, etc. All nations should serve God. God is so powerful, so wonderful that all nations should worship him. Every man, woman, and child should honor God.
We should serve God with gladness. The psalmist encourages us to serve God-to do his will. We should do so with gladness.
We should come before God’s presence with singing. When we worship, we come into the very presence of God. Matthew 18:20. This is the reason we need to worship respectfully. We should do so with singing. Singing involves human emotions. James 5:13.
Know God, v 3
The psalmist presents some things we need to know about God.
- He is God. No one else is God-not the gods of the surrounding people. Yahweh is God.
- God made us. We’re not here by evolution or accident. An Egyptian Pharaoh thought that he had made the Nile (Ezek. 29:3).
- We are God’s people. This is talking about Israel, but think about what it means for us. Since God made us, we belong to him. Since we belong to God, we can’t decide for ourselves how we will act-God should make that decision. Many moral problems would be solved if people would realize that they belong to God.
- We are the sheep of his pasture. A shepherd takes care of his sheep. God took care of Israel. He led them out of bondage. He gave them manna and quail.
Thank God, vv 4-5
People are encouraged to come before God and give him thanks. It is right that we pause and thank God. “It is good to give thanks to the LORD” (Ps. 92:1).
The psalmist tells us why we should give thanks.
- The Lord is good. Pagan deities were often cruel. But, our God is good. He gives us everything we have (Acts 17:25). He sent his Son to die for us even when we were sinners (Rom. 5:8).
- His mercy is everlasting. Our God is a forgiving God. Micah 7:18-19.
- His truth endures to all generations. Our God is a God of truth. We can stand on God’s promises, because God doesn’t change his mind!