Greeting | 1 Timothy 1:1-2 | Thinking about Timothy and Titus
Paul says that he was an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God and of Christ Jesus.
- In what way(s) was Paul an apostle of Christ Jesus?
- What were the requirements for apostleship (cf. Acts 1:21-22)? If Paul was not with the Twelve from Jesus’ baptism by John to the Ascension, how could he have been an apostle? Was Paul an inferior apostle? Why or why not?
- What were some of the things involved in being “an apostle of Christ Jesus?”
- When was Paul commanded to be an apostle? What were some things Paul was commanded to do as an apostle? Name some of the ways Paul fulfilled that command.
Paul refers to God as “our Savior.”
- From what has God saved us?
- What are some of the blessings of the salvation God gives?
How is Jesus our hope?
Timothy was Paul’s true son in the faith.
- What do we know about Timothy’s background?
- When had Paul first met Timothy?
- How was Timothy Paul’s “true child in the faith?”
How does “grace, mercy, and peace” come from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord?